MINOT — A North Dakota man bested the bareback field in the second round of the RAM Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo in Minot on Oct. 14.
Clay Jorgenson, Watford City, scored 85.5 points on the Bailey Pro Rodeo horse Colorado Bulldog to be top of the twelve-man field of bareback riders.
The 27-year-old has been plagued with injuries for most of the rodeo season. He broke his wrist at the Auburn, Calif. rodeo in April, which took him out for several weeks. Then, at the Killdeer, N.D. rodeo in early July, he tore the sternoclavicular joint in his collar bone and had to sit out again.
“I haven’t rodeoed in any significant way since the end of April,” he said.
Jorgenson said he was thrilled to ride the 12-year-old stallion owned by Shane Gunderson and Brandee Moore, Bailey Pro Rodeo. “I’ve seen that horse everywhere, pretty much my whole career,” he said. “He was raised by Steve Waugen, and I grew up getting on Steve Waugen horses.”
The horse, a multiple Wrangler National Finals Rodeo selection, “is pretty bucky,” Jorgenson said. “He gets stronger and stronger as the ride goes on. He’s obviously the one you want.”
Jorgenson, who came into the finals in fifth place, got bucked off last night so is out of placing in the average, the highest scores on three head.
That takes some of the pressure off, as he focuses solely on each ride. “Now I know all I’m going for is the round win, so it’s let it all hang out, all or nothing. It’s go for the round win, get some good checks, and hopefully get a boost in the standings.”
Another North Dakotan won the second round in the steer wrestling.
Cameron Morman, Glen Ullin, had a time of 4.0 seconds to win the Saturday night performance of the Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo.
“I knew I had a good steer,” he said. “Joe Nelson won the round on him last night. I didn’t score very good, but Billy Boldon did a good job hazing, and I got around him.”
Morman, a seven-time Badlands Circuit champion, was aboard his 17-year-old sorrel named Kenny. Morman won the 2022 Badlands Circuit year-end and finals titles on him, and brought him, instead of his other steer wrestling horse to Minot.
“Kenny is real quick across the line, and I feel like this arena fits his style,” he said. Morman’s other good steer wrestling horse, Rio, on whom he has won several Badlands titles, and on whom he won the Pendleton (Ore.) Roundup last month. “They’re both great horses, but I’ve had really good luck with Kenny at indoor arenas.”
Other second go-round winners include team ropers Jr Dees, Aurora, S.D. and Cash Hetzel, Lemmon, S.D. (5.2 seconds); saddle bronc rider Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D. (84 points); breakaway roper Sawyer Gilbert, Buffalo, S.D. (2.3 seconds); tie-down roper Grant Turek, St. Paul, Neb. (8.9 seconds); barrel racer Molly Otto, Grand Forks, N.D. (13.58 seconds) and bull rider Mason Moody, Letcher, S.D. (86 points).
The third and final round of the Badlands Circuit Finals takes place Oct. 15 with a 1 pm matinee performance. General admission tickets are discounted to $10; gold buckle seats are $35. For more information on the rodeo, visit RodeoMinot.com.
Results – 2nd round of the Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo, Minot, N.D. – October 14, 2023
- Clay Jorgenson, Watford City, ND 85.5 points on Bailey Pro Rodeo’s Colorado Bulldog;
- Ty Breuer, Mandan, ND 84.5;
- Shane O’Connell, Rapid City, SD 83;
- Ben Kramer, Max, ND 82;
- Cameron Morman, Glen Ullin, ND 4.0 seconds;
- Scott Kleeman, Killdeer, ND 4.7;
- Kaden Wooters, Elwood, NE 5.0;
- Austin Hurlburt, Norfolk, NE 5.1.
- Jr Dees, Aurora, SD/Ross Ashford, Lott, Texas 5.2 seconds;
- Bodie Mattson, Sturgis, SD/Cash Hetzel, Lemmon, SD 5.6;
- Cooper White, Hershey, NE/Tucker White, Hershey, NE 5.7;
- Braden Pirrung, Hartford, SD/Jade Nelson, Midland, SD 5.8.
Saddle bronc riding
- Cole Elshere, Faith, SD 84 points on Sutton Rodeo’s Rubys Girl;
- Cash Wilson, Wall, S.D. 83;
- Brady Hill, Onida, SD 80.5;
- Jade Blackwell, Rapid City, SD 80.
- Sawyer Gilbert, Buffalo, SD 2.3 seconds;
- (tie) Jessica Holmes, Buffalo, SD and Brooke Howell, Belle Fourche, SD 3.1 each;
- Danielle Wray, Ord, NE 4.4.
- Grant Turek, St. Paul, NE 8.9 seconds;
- Bodie Mattson, Sturgis, SD 9.0
- Austin Hurlburt, Norfolk, NE 9.1;
- Brock Belkham, Flandreau, SD 9.4.
- Molly Otto, Grand Forks, ND 13.58 seconds;
- Nicole Bice, Killdeer, ND 13.59;
- Lisa Lockhart, Oelrichs, SD 13.64;
- Lakken Bice, Killdeer, ND 13.70.
- Mason Moody, Letcher, SD 86 points on Sutton Rodeo’s Mad Max;
No other qualified rides.
** All results are unofficial.